March 03, 2011

standing for something














I feel like I got kicked in the gut. I typically don't get so emotionally involved in BYU basketball but I have this season. And really, who hasn't? (If you have any cougar blood in you at all.) We were great! And I believed we were going to make a great showing in the NCAA tournament. After the news of Brandon Davies and the trouncing we took last night after the news, I feel like I got kicked in the gut.
However, I am proud to be a Cougar. Proud that we stand for upholding God's law. Proud that when we commit to an honor code we abide by that commitment. It has been interesting to read people's comments and hear their rude sarcastic remarks. Remarks about how backward, cultish, unrealistic, and ultimately stupid Mormons, BYU, and their honor code is in this day and age. It was also interesting to hear Brandon Davies' team mates talk about their love for Brandon and their best wishes for him. Their hopes that he would be alright and their willingness to forgive a friend who made mistakes. I'm proud to be a cougar and proud of the way they are handling the situation on and off the court. I hope now that they can pull together and salvage what was shaping up to be the best season in BYU basketball.
GO COUGARS!

4 comments:

  1. Dave and I went to the game last night. It was pretty frustrating. But I also think it's cool that BYU upholds their honor code even with the NCAA tournament around the corner. There have been negative comments, but I've also heard positive comments as well. Dave said on ESPN they were impressed with how BYU puts more emphasis on standards then on a game. They mentioned how BYU's programs are put in place to build good men and women, not just good athletes. I think they had a hard time playing last night after losing a teammate, but hopefully they can pull themselves together and still come out strong in the tournament!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a lot of postive press coming from the major networks. It has been good to see the respect BYU has earned for its decision to keep to the honor code. The ones I found annoying were all the comments posted by people below the articles where anyone can post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the majority of the media coverage has been incredibly positive and respectful. Davies was on the bench at Saturday's game and the crowd went as wild for him as any other player when it was his turn to cut down the net after they won.

    The first 15 minutes of this interviews is of Danny Ainge talking about the BYU honor code. It's really good.

    http://audio.weei.com/a/37354448/danny-ainge-on-byu-s-brandon-davies-and-the-celtics.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great interview with Danny Ainge.

    ReplyDelete