I love this poster because what it says to me is that the more self reliant I become the more free I am. So no matter where you live plant yourself a
Victory Garden, Liberty Garden, a Food Garden for Defense. (Aren't these great names!) I couldn't help but think of D&C 115:6 but in relation to a garden . . . "may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth." With so much uncertainty in our world it is fun, rewarding, and brings great peace to me to plant my garden and store whatever I can for whatever lies ahead. Hopefully just for lots of days with yummy things to eat!
Victory Gardens, also known as liberty gardens, food gardens for defense, or war gardens, arose during World War I and World War II in order to lessen the pressure of the public food supply created by the war effort. These gardens were planted in backyards, on apartment-building rooftops, and in vacant lots that were commandeered for the war effort. Even public places such as Hyde Park in London, the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, and the lawns around Riverside in New York City, had sections plowed up to grow various fruits, veggies, and herbs.
You're so inspiring. I haven't taken the plunge into figuring out how to garden in the heat of Arizona. You've got me thinking about it...
ReplyDelete